Ex-kickboxer Andrew Tate says Romanian prosecutors have no evidence against him

BUCHAREST, Jan 25 (Reuters) – Controversial Internet personality Andrew Tate said on Wednesday there was no justice in Romania and that the case file against him in a criminal investigation into alleged human trafficking and rape was empty.

Tate, his brother Tristan and two Romanian female suspects have been in police custody since December 29 pending an ongoing criminal investigation into forming a criminal group to sexually exploit women. Deny.

On Thursday, a Romanian court extended his detention until February 27. Prosecutors have said the Tate brothers recruited their victims by seducing them and falsely claiming they wanted a relationship or marriage.

Lire Aussi :  Why Lionel Messi hasn't won a World Cup: Explaining how the biggest trophy of all has escaped Argentina star

Prosecutors said the victims were then taken to properties on the outskirts of the capital, Bucharest, and sexually exploited through physical violence and mental intimidation, forcing them to produce pornographic material for social media sites for large financial gain. .

They also said that Andrew Tate, a former professional kickboxer who holds US and British citizenship, raped the victim in March last year, which he has denied.

“They know we’ve done nothing wrong,” Tate told reporters as he was brought in for further questioning by anti-organized crime prosecutors, his first comments to the media since his arrest. “This file is completely empty. Of course it is injustice, unfortunately there is no justice in Romania.”

Lire Aussi :  China reports first COVID deaths in weeks as official count questioned
Andrew Tate and his brother Tristan are escorted by police officers outside the headquarters of the Bucharest Court of Appeal on January 10, 2023 in Bucharest, Romania.

Asked if he had hurt women, Tate said: “Of course not.”

Earlier this month, Romanian authorities said they had seized 18 million lei ($3.99 million) worth of goods and money, including luxury cars and real estate, as part of the investigation.

“There is no evidence against me,” Tristan Tate told reporters on Wednesday. “The authorities are planning to steal my cars and steal my money. That’s why I’m in jail.”

Prosecutors say the seizure was intended to prevent assets from being hidden.

His lawyer, Yevgeny Vadenek, told reporters after the cross-examination that Tates “is confident in the defense, he is confident in the evidence in his favor, he has given a detailed statement, he has cooperated (with authorities)”.

Lire Aussi :  World stocks in upbeat spirits, Fed's Powell in the spotlight

“We believe that defenses are starting to take shape.”

Andrew Tate gained mainstream notoriety for misrepresentation that led to him being banned from all major social media platforms, although his Twitter in November after Elon Musk’s acquisition of the social media network. The account was restored.

Reporting by Luiza Ilie and Octav Ganea; Editing by Nick McPhee and Daniel Wallis

Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button